How to Stay Compliant with Washington DC’s Child-Resistant Marijuana Packaging Rules
Recreational marijuana remains illegal in the District of Columbia, but the territory does allow medical marijuana - as long as no product is consumed, smoked, or otherwise used on Federal land.
All medical marijuana containers in DC are required to be labeled with:
The name of the cultivation center where the medical marijuana was produced and the manufacture date;
- The name of the dispensary where the medical marijuana was dispensed;
- The quantity of medical marijuana contained within;
- The cannabinoid profile of the medical marijuana contained within, including the THC level;
- Any other ingredient or ingredients besides medical marijuana contained within;
- The name of the recommending physician;
- The dispensing date that the medical marijuana was transferred to the qualified patient or caregiver;
- The qualifying patient’s name and registration card number; and
A statement that the product is for medical use, not for resale or transfer to another person, containing the following language: “Contains Marijuana. Keep out of the reach of children.”
An additional, separate regulation makes clear that labels must also include the following text: “There may be health risks associated with the ingestion or use of this product.” Please consult your physician if you have any questions or concerns.”
Harvested marijuana and any extracts or infused products are also required to disclose any pesticides, additives, or other chemicals used in the cultivation and manufacturing processes.
Edible products are additionally required to disclose all ingredients and any potential food allergens that the product may contain - or have been exposed to during manufacture. Additionally, cultivators and / or manufacturers producing the edibles must ensure that the products:
- Are labeled clearly and unambiguously as medical marijuana;
- Are not presented in packaging or with labeling that is appealing to children; and
- Have packaging designed or constructed to be significantly difficult for children under five (5) years of age to open, but not normally difficult for adults to use properly.
Label designs are required to be approved by the Mayor of DC before they can be utilized.
For more information, consult the District of Columbia’s municipal regulations at https://www.dcregs.dc.gov/Common/DCMR/SectionList.aspx?SectionId=37088
If your dispensary or other manufacturing facility is in need of custom-printed packaging for your products, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team here at CannaSundries.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of the CannaSundries website regulatory pages are intended to convey general information. The information here should not be relied upon for legal advice on state marijuana laws. We provide links to state cannabis regulatory sites; we do not vouch for or assume any responsibility for the content, accuracy or completeness of material presented in linked sites. The information presented on these pages may not reflect the most current legal developments in the marijuana industry. We disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.